As a follow on to my post for the Irish Parenting Bloggers World Breastfeeding Week blog march 2013 (that’s some title!), I’ve pulled together a set of links for the many groups and websites you can access for advice on and support with breastfeeding:
Breastfeeding.ie is a one-stop shop which includes information on where to get help, and links to many breastfeeding support groups:
Cuidiu: find your local branch for mother-to-mother support, breastfeeding groups, mother and baby groups:
La Leche League: LLL leaders who are volunteer mothers are available for telephone support, or you could join a regular meeting to meet other mothers to look for help with specific problems or just to chat:
Friends of Breastfeeding:
For a network of local support and great information try:
You may wish to contact a private lactation consultant to check your baby’s latch and give you face-to-face advice – especially if you suspect that your baby has tongue tie or if breastfeeding is painful.
See a list of LCs here (for which there would be a charge for a visit): ALCI list of lactation consultants
Another source of support is the huge number of Facebook groups that have sprung up – you can join a group for your area if you have a Facebook account, and then post questions or just read answers to questions posted by other members.
Many of these groups are “closed” so only other members can see your questions and comments.
Below are links to some Facebook groups (open and closed) or local breastfeeding pages :
- Armagh (open group): https://www.facebook.com/groups/36338270717/
- Cork (open group): https://www.facebook.com/groups/163120187054933/
- Kerry (closed group): https://www.facebook.com/groups/123741074396942/
- Waterford (closed group): https://www.facebook.com/groups/357674354248663/
- Tipp. (closed group): https://www.facebook.com/groups/234428676657143/
- Limerick (closed group): https://www.facebook.com/groups/294796583933824/
- Dungarvan: (page) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mother2Mother-group-Dungarvan/137646886247228
- Longford: (page) https://www.facebook.com/pages/Longford-Mother-To-Mother-Breastfeeding-Support-Group/128908153877642
- Dublin (closed group): https://www.facebook.com/groups/214424325313610/
- Meath (closed group): https://www.facebook.com/groups/142098255910317/
- Kildare: https://www.facebook.com/groups/382459701795278/
- Galway (closed Group):https://www.facebook.com/groups/289422351116402/
- Ballina (page): https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ballina-Breastfeeding-Group/306584146029157
All information correct as at August 3rd 2013
My own experience of tongue tie with my third baby is documented here, and includes contact details for doctors who are currently offering tongue tie division procedures in Ireland
Do look for support if you’re having difficulty breastfeeding your baby – there are so many people out there who have successfully nursed their own babies and want to help other mothers to have the same experience.
4 thoughts on “Breastfeeding support: links”
This is a great list, and I hope it’s of use to people out there looking for support.
Let me add this link that I posted to Denise’s blog earlier, in case anyone is looking for info specifically on how to help a nursing-on-demand older baby sleep through the night without giving up the boob all together: http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html
Thank you Maud – I will add it to the list. The nightfeed side of things is definitely something that prompts people to stop before they’re really ready.
Comments are closed.