As part of lovely Learner Mama’s linky, I’ve put together ten random things I’ve learned about parenting. They apply to me; they may not apply to everyone. But I wish my pre-mother self had known some of them. Or maybe that would take the fun out of it…
1. Nothing you can buy or do will make your baby sleep through the night. A bear with a beating heart or giving porridge for tea might have worked for your friend, but it doesn’t mean it will work for you. Sometimes you just have to wait.
2. Puréed carrot doesn’t wash out of white tops
3. TV just might save your life (if your child isn’t into TV: you can train them)
4. The one-year-old who eats everything may grow into a four-year-old who will only eat plain pasta and bananas.
5. Not every parent is good at baking or crafting with kids (and that’s OK, they won’t end up in therapy)
6. The one time your child sleeps through, you will be woken by the house alarm going off or a party next door or just the eerie, unfamiliar silence of a sleeping child
7. There’s an unwritten rule that the first holiday with a child is a complete shock to the system and after that, parents lower their expectations
8. Glitter is the enemy of sanity
9. There is no problem that can’t be solved by an impromptu kitchen disco (and it almost makes up for all the nights out you’re not having anymore)
10. Kids’ll drive you mad, but they’re actually pretty cool too
To see other posts in this linky today and over the coming weeks, click the badge!